Posted by on July 9, 2017 12:45 pm
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Categories: Badge Abuse civil asset forfeiture CJ Grisham ego trip cop Filming Cops Flex Your rights Good News illegally seizing guns open carry Open Carry Texas Police Brutality power hungry Temple Texas US News


Temple, TX – After more than four years, and $175,000, an Iraq War veteran finally has his firearms back following a confrontation with police that went viral in 2013.

Temple police seized a Black Jack Firearms AR-15 and a Kimber Ultra Carry Pro II .45 caliber handgun from Army First Sergeant C.J. Grisham, after they apprehended him on the side of the road, while he and his 15-year-old son were hiking for an Eagle Scout project in March 2013.

The entire incident was caught on film, and instantly went viral, causing outrage over the violation of Grisham’s civil rights. In the video, a compliant—but objecting—Grisham can be seen arguing the legality of the stop, the manhandling treatment he receives and his subsequent arrest.

Grisham knew his rights under Texas law, after having successfully completed concealed carry weapons training and securing his concealed handgun license. He also knew the stop was illegal.


Officer Steve Ermis was the first officer to make contact with Grisham and his son. Instead of inquiring as to whether Grisham had a CHL for the weapons he was carrying, Ermis approached Grisham, reached out and grabbed the AR-15, and as soon as Grisham’s hand came near it, Ermis pulled out his own gun and pointed it at Grisham.

Even though he was legally open-carrying his long gun, and legally concealed carrying his handgun, Grisham was manhandled by police, and when he questioned the officers’ legal reason for detaining and disarming him, he was arrested.

Ermis first charged Grisham with the misdemeanor of “resisting arrest,” but later changed the charge to interfering with the duties of a peace officer. Ermis then claimed that confronted Grisham for walking on the wrong side of the road.

READ MORE:  Officer Investigated After Video Shows Him Beating a 9-Month Pregnant Woman

Not only was Grisham charged with criminal activity, but he was forced to defend himself in court against the charges. Even though the first trial ended with a hung jury, he was eventually convicted in the second trial of “interfering with the duties of a law enforcement officer,” a misdemeanor, but it wasn’t without a hefty price.

Grisham’s court costs, legal fees, and miscellaneous costs were paid for by and totaled $175,000. Larry Keilberg fund’s national director told the Temple Daily Telegram, Grisham’s case was the result of an, “out of control legal system starting with a bully cop, manipulation of the charges to fit the defense case, followed by a very biased judge, Neel Richardson.”

The video suggested otherwise. The officers on the scene told Grisham he was grossly displaying his firearm, and that people were in fear. Ironically, the only dangerous actions taking place with Grisham’s firearms happened when Ermis disarmed Grisham. The officer slung the rifle wildly, even pointing it in several directions without first clearing the rifle and ensuring it was unloaded.

Grisham questioned the Temple police officers knowledge of the law, and they proudly replied that they were “exempt from the law” and that the citizens “don’t care what the law is.”

But it’s what happened to Grisham’s guns after his arrest that is making news today. His Black Jack Firearms AR-15 and Kimber Ultra Carry Pro II .45 caliber handgun were not promptly returned to him, even after the trial ended.

It took over four years for Temple police to return his weapons, even after he demanded them back in December 2013. At first, the police department claimed they didn’t have them. Then they said a court reporter had possession of them in a secured room, but still didn’t return them to him.

READ MORE:  Facebook Goes Off-Grid: Announces that their Texas Data Center Will Run on 100% Wind Energy

Following the ordeal, Grisham became the face of Open Carry Texas in 2014. The gun rights organization push for the ability to open carry handguns in Texas, which became legal in January 2016.

On June 30, Temple police finally released Grisham’s weapons to him. The Temple Daily Telegram reported that Grisham’s first actions were to clean and test-fire both weapons to make sure that they still worked.

“I’m relieved that after 1,567 days, I finally have the guns back that were stolen from me by Temple Police Department on a back country road where I was minding my own business,” Grisham said.

Once again, local police have proven they apparently have more power than the U.S. Constitution. They can not only detain, and disarm someone, but they can make up charges, force a man and his family to go through lengthy and stressful court proceedings, and prevent him from protecting his family with legally obtained and possessed weapons. Oh yeah…and now he also has a criminal record.

Grisham sued in court but the case was dismissed. He could still appeal to the Texas Supreme Court, but he has not stated whether or not he will.

One response to WATCH: Veteran Nearly Killed by Cops for Legal Open Carry Wins $175K, Gets Gun Back

  1. Michael Yon July 10th, 2017 at 1:07 am

    CJ Grisham is a case of Stolen Valor.

    This is not a person who should be taken as representing our crucial 2nd Amendment rights.

    Stolen Valor: Grisham claimed to have wiped out an entire Iraqi squad, all by himself, using nothing more than a pistol and a grenade.

    It never happened. We have his records. For years Grisham has refused to answer any questions using evidence such as witness statements or names of witnesses.

    His answers always turn to:

    1) ad hominem
    2) deflection by saying he is above answering such questions
    3) both of the above
    4) when he feels truly cornered, he tosses a PTSD sympathy card

    He typically wears military-style attire covered in patches, a badge, and his name tag, while juicing people with his army stories.

    Fact: he was kicked out of Afghanistan, unable to complete his tour due to mental issues that he himself published about and later tried to cover up. I was there in Afghanistan at the time. He was lying. He never even left Kandahar Air Field but would scam out of work by going to the stress clinic, which he published.

    He was sent back to Texas but his unit did not want him around, so the commander tasked him out to the rec center where Grisham became a rec supervisor.

    He was caught taking Boy Scouts in Kayaks out on a dark lake with no lights. Nobody to this day seems to know what he was up to. If you ask him about this, likely he will either ignore the question or attack me.

    The rec center took his keys and told him to clear out his desk. He was sent back to his unit, from which he retired at the earliest moment.

    Grisham has a hero-complex and is something like a firefighter-arsonist who creates emergencies that he can fix and gain spotlight.

    This is the tip of the iceberg with this guy. For more:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *