Posted by on April 18, 2017 3:59 pm
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Categories: Buffalo, New York Burton Elementary School Counter-terrorism Crime prevention Economy Erie Canal Erie County, Pennsylvania Erie International Airport Erie police Erie, Pennsylvania FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation Ford Law enforcement national security Ohio PA State Police pennsylvania Pennsylvania State Police Transportation in Erie, Pennsylvania Union Station

The manhunt for Facebook killer Steve Stephens is over in what is may be the most fitting end.

Steve Stephens, the suspect in the Cleveland, Ohio, Facebook killing, shot and killed himself after a brief police pursuit in Erie County, Pennsylvania, this morning, the Pennsylvania State Police said.

Stephens was found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound in white Ford Fusion on Buffalo Road,. State police had been following the car as it was headed west into the city of Erie. Yesterday, there were reports that Stephens was spotted in Philadelphia’s Fairmount Park area, but police said the reports were unsubstantiated.

Authorities had issued a warrant for Stephens’ arrest, and offered up to $50,000 for information leading to his capture.

According to, Erie police have confirmed the suicide in Erie on Tuesday of Steve Stephens, the Cleveland resident suspected of fatally shooting a Cleveland man on Sunday and posting video of the slaying on Facebook.

Stephens died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound while driving a white Ford Fusion near Buffalo Road and Downing Avenue around 11:10 a.m., police said.

State police were following the car as it headed west into Erie, according to dispatchers.

The car, pointed west, is stopped in the westbound lane of Buffalo Road, across from the former Burton Elementary School, 1660 Buffalo Road. Police are blocking off the entire school grounds. Erie police are also at the scene.

As shown in the clip below, Erie police are at the scene, with Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook and the FBI and Erie County District Attorney Jack Daneri. Erie Mayor Joe Sinnott said early Tuesday afternoon that he did not have much information about the incident, but he expected to be briefed later in the day by Police Chief Don Dacus. “Obviously when you’ve got a fugitive out there, you’re pleased to see it come to some quick resolution,” Sinnott said.

An aggravated murder warrant was issued for Stephens’ arrest early Monday because police believed he may have fled Ohio.

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf tweeted his thanks to the Pennsylvania State Police for their vigilance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *