Bill Ackman Joins Twitter
After years of purportedly cultivating relationships with journalists to burnish his image in the press, Pershing Square Capital Founder Bill Ackman has created a twitter account, presumably to cut out the middleman and speak directly to the people, after eating a series of embarrassing losses from bad bets on Valeant pharmaceuticals and Herbalife Inc.
Ackman confirmed to Bloomberg that the account, which bears the handle @BillAckman1, is, in fact, genuine. Unfortunately, his reluctance to join the service – which was launched 10 years ago – at an earlier date left him unable to secure a handle using just his own name: That handle, apparently, belongs to an imposter.
Ackman forced to use @billackman1
— zerohedge (@zerohedge) June 29, 2017
Ackman’s fund ate a $3 billion loss in March when it announced it had liquidated its entire stake in Valeant Pharmaceuticals and has effectively resigned from the board, saying he won’t stand for re-election. In a statement, Ackman said “it was time to get out of the position, investment required disproportionately large amount of time and resources.”
Ackman hasn’t yet tweeted, nor has he added profile picture.
Here’s a breakdown of the accounts Ackman is following, via BBG:
- Ackman was following 46 accounts on Thursday morning, including President Donald Trump’s @Potus and @realDonaldTrump accounts, and Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of the hit Broadway musical “Hamilton”
- Following Anthony Scaramucci, PIMCO, GS CEO Lloyd Blankfein
- Also following Larry Summers, Mohamed El-Erian, Ben Bernanke
- Follows French President Emmanuel Macron, ex-U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron
- Follows Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Tim Cook
- Also follows tennis stars Roger Federer and Frances Tiafoe
Which begs the question: Where’s our follow-back, Bill?